Do I Know I'm Loved by God?
The other week, I was asked to consider the question, "Do you know at the end of the day that you are loved by God?" I thought it might be a simple assignment that I could easily answer at the end of the each day.
When we got around to finally discussing it, I admitted that I had a hard time verbalizing that "feeling" from God. My thoughts continually drifted towards the blessings I received throughout the day or to a greater awareness of the things I typically take for granted. But I can't base the thoughts that I am loved by God on those things. If I do I'm thinking that God only loves me when I get something from him. This forced me to reflect again on Job. In the midst of his trials did he know that God loved him? I would have to say "Yes" otherwise he would have given up on God and followed the advice of his wife, curse God and die. But he didn't. Would I?
I like to think that I would know that I am loved by God even without the blessings he offers. I know he loves me and wants to bless me out of his love. But do I feel his love when he prunes my character, refines my thinking, defines my sin? We all have to admit, those times are difficult. I usually struggle to think about his love until after I've walked through the trial.
I want to know that in the trials, I will still stand strong.
I want to know I'm loved by God not based on his blessings.
I want to know God...
When we got around to finally discussing it, I admitted that I had a hard time verbalizing that "feeling" from God. My thoughts continually drifted towards the blessings I received throughout the day or to a greater awareness of the things I typically take for granted. But I can't base the thoughts that I am loved by God on those things. If I do I'm thinking that God only loves me when I get something from him. This forced me to reflect again on Job. In the midst of his trials did he know that God loved him? I would have to say "Yes" otherwise he would have given up on God and followed the advice of his wife, curse God and die. But he didn't. Would I?
I like to think that I would know that I am loved by God even without the blessings he offers. I know he loves me and wants to bless me out of his love. But do I feel his love when he prunes my character, refines my thinking, defines my sin? We all have to admit, those times are difficult. I usually struggle to think about his love until after I've walked through the trial.
I want to know that in the trials, I will still stand strong.
I want to know I'm loved by God not based on his blessings.
I want to know God...
3 Comments:
Perfect word for today...thanks Toph. I needed to be hit over the head and that suited me perfectly.
Sounds like you have been meeting with Martin.
Thanks for the words. I've been pondering them often since I first read this post...
Post a Comment
<< Home